Here are Your Magical Unicorn Cupcakes
Fresh Creamy and Delicious
Recipe Makes 12 Magical Unicorn Cupcakes
- ¼ cup Lactantia butter, cut into ½ inch cubes (room temperature)
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup oil 9 (canola)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- Add the cubed butter and mix until it resembles coarse sand (about 4 minutes on low speed).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners, filling each about three quarters full. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan. Let cool on a wire rack before frosting.
- 1½ cups or 3 Lactantia Butter sticks (room temperature)
- 4½ cups icing sugar
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Gel food coloring in pink, blue and teal
- Mix the butter in a separate bowl until smooth.
- On low speed, add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Once combined, beat until smooth.
- Divide the frosting into the three-separate bowls. Add gel food colouring (blue, teal, pink) into each of the bowls. Use a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Put each of the coloured frosting in a different third of the piping bag. Point the tip of the piping bag on the outer edge and gradually swirl the frosting towards the center in a circular motion.
How to decorate the Unicorn
- You can find edible horns, ears, and stars at your local baking store or create your own using fondant, edible glue and gold luster dust.
- Kneed white fondant. Roll out to about 1/3 thickness.
- Using a small round cookie cutter, make 2 circles. One for each cupcake.
- Shape and pinch the top and bottom of the circles, so that they look like the ears in the image.
- Add to frosted cupcake.
- Roll fondant into gumball sized balls. Roll it out into a cone shape, creating a swirl.
- Paint edible gold luster dust on to the unicorn horns and onto the inside of unicorn ears. Use a mixture of luster dust with vodka (Alcohol will evaporate).
- Put horn in the middle of cupcake as showing in image.